Jocelyn And Boys Walking Away - FAQs

FAQs & Resources

How are Bombus services different?

If I take on a case, I am going to advocate with as much passion as I have for my own children.  I will educate the child’s biggest advocate, YOU, to be able to advocate for your own child.  I am committed to working with the parent/caretaker to make sure there is a full understanding of the process and resources.  Together we will navigate the system and confidently request services to be put in place that will allow your child to soar.

Why should I hire you?

This can be an emotional, overwhelming and confusing time for you and your family.  When you work with me, you will gain an understanding of the process and expectations so that you can confidently attend meetings and/or request services.  I will advocate for your child’s needs while thinking outside the box.  And for those emotionally draining moments, I am present to make sure nothing is missed.  We are a team.  You are your child’s best advocate and together we will move towards positive change.

Who are students with a disability?

A person with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity is disabled under the ADA or section 504.

What is a 504?

The 504 Plan is a plan developed to ensure that a child who has a disability identified under the law and is attending an elementary or secondary educational institution receives accommodations that will ensure their academic success and access to the learning environment.

What is an IEP?

An individualized education plan, or IEP, is a legal document that details the personalized learning needs and goals for a child with a disability as defined by law when the child attends a K-12 grade educational institution that receives public funding.

What is the difference between an IEP and 504?

The 504 plan is less restrictive than an IEP and is a better option when a student can function well in a regular education environment with accommodations. An IEP is a better option for students with a disability that is adversely impacting education. Only an IEP provides specialized instruction with measurable goals for students in grades K-12. A 504 can be used from K-12 and in college.

What is the common education placement for students with a disability?

Regular education classrooms are the most common placement for a child with a disability. Nearly 95% of students with a disability spent at least part of their day in a regular education classroom in 2016.

Are you an Attorney?

No – A board-certified special education advocate is NOT an attorney.  I do not provide legal advice but am familiar with the laws.  I do work and collaborate with several mediators and Special Education Attorneys.

How does billing work?

Clients are billed an hourly rate for phone correspondence, meeting preparation, document review, meeting attendance, consultations, travel time, and research.  The first call is complimentary, and if we decide to move forward and work together, I will discuss rates at the end of the first consultation phone call.


  • 14.3% or 7.3 students ranging from 3-21 years old receive special education services under IDEA (Individuals with Disability Education Act) in the US.
  • Only 68.2% of students with a disabilities graduate high school.
  • 50% of the graduated students with a disability plan to attend college.
  • 18.1 % of students with a disability that go to college drop out.
    This is 3x higher than average dropout rate of all students.

Helpful Links

U.S. Department of Education

IDEA-Related Acronyms, Abbreviations, and Terms

Pennsylvania Department of Education_Special Education